Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Raisin' Funds, Watchin' Hockey, and All Those Good Things...

Sorry I've failed to post in such a long time. The reality is that there isn't much news, or change since my last post. Work at the Canadian Red Cross continues to be busy. The Donations have tailed off a little bit, but the paperwork remains...
NOTE: I've recently been told that 94% of Haiti funds donated to the Canadian Red Cross make it to the ground. The Operating costs for this disaster will not exceed 6%. The 85% figure applies for general, unspecified donations.


Josue is doing well, as usual. His language is always improving, and he's seeming more and more comfortable and accustomed to Canadian life. If I didn't know him (and he didn't speak to me) I would assume that he has lived here his entire life. I'm so impressed by how open to new experiences he has been.


Kayla, Catherine and I, along with our respective counterparts, have been working on a fundraiser which is to be held on the 7th of February. It is to consist of a night at 'Amy's Restaurant on Second' Complete with live jazz music, cheesecake & coffee, and a series of silent auctions/raffles. We have dubbed this event "Evening at Amy's". It has been my job to organize the collection of donated products for our silent auction. The generosity of this town is one of the many things that remind me of my home community. It seems that the majority of businesses which we have canvassed have contributed a significant donation of some sort. Why, just today we had one of the local cafe's offer to provide us with all of our coffee for the night. Kind of restores your faith in the kindness of people and the power of a tight community. Everyone seems keen on our program, and what it has to offer Prince Albert within the next 4 years of its presence here. I'll let ya' all know how it goes!


Like I said, nothing much new here in PA. But with that being said, everything is still excellent!
I hope everyone is well, and I can't wait to see you all soon! (1 Month...wow)

3 comments:

  1. Oh Yeah ! small communities are the best !
    The folks here in Arden and Sharbot Lake miss
    you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the fundraising - sounds like it's going to be fun !
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Luke, love reading your posts. First thing I look at when I turn on my computer every day. Sounds like you are having a great time and doing a great job. Looking forward to seeing you in Arden. Love, Judy

    ReplyDelete