Sunday, January 17, 2010

Canadian Red Cross..

Work at the Red Cross has been hectic since the devastating earthquake in Haiti. During our work day we don't even have time to go for lunch, having so many walk-in's. Over the past two days in which the Red Cross has been open we've raised over $13,000 dollars for the Haitian earthquake fund, $10.9 million dollars Nationally (as of noon, Friday). I would encourage everyone to make some kind of donation to the Red Cross for the Haitian Earthquake fund. I know that almost all of the funds that are donated to the Red Cross make it to the people in need, only 15% lost through transportation and administration costs.

I couldn't be more happy about my workplace, because unlike some of the other volunteer placements I KNOW that I'm making a difference in the lives of others. I plan to continue volunteering for the Red Cross when I return to Ottawa. Also, one of the ladies who used to work out of our office now works in Ottawa. There's a good chance that I may be able to get a summer job at the Red Cross and work full time.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Luke, sounds like you're doing a job that brings you much satisfaction. That's very cool !
    We'll be sending donations in tomorrow as soon as the office opens in Kingston.
    Love
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Luke,
    What a fantastic experience to be working for the Red Cross, especially at a time like this.
    Glad to hear that you're enjoying the work and that it's so rewarding. We will definitely be making donations to the Red Cross.
    Love,
    Annette + John

    ReplyDelete