Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Last Week of Activities...

The day after our Final camp was the Carnaval. The biggest party of the year within Somoto. The Carnaval features party bands from across the country, and many people travel from all over Nicaragua to attend. The Party ran from 9:00PM-6:00AM. I stupidly let myself be talked out of attending. I regret the fact that I didnt go even more because of the fact that most of the other Canadians were in attendance. They all had a blast. I´m sure that I´ll be trying to make up for missing the Carnaval for the rest of our program.

Yesterday was our final excursion. We visited the department of Matagalpa, and Matagalpa city. It took us a long three hours to arrive in Matagalpa. Upon our arrival we visited the farm of a familiar INPRHU employee. He gave us a full tour of his land, and allowed us to sample his produce. He had Cacao, Guava, Mandarins, and Lemons the size of a baby´s head. Afterwards he gave us a big plate of Squash and Honey, and a potato like vegetable with cream. Delicious, as usual.

After the farm we made a brief stop in Matagalpa city. Among the Nicaraguan cities which we´ve visited, it´s probably the one which presents the most North American lifestyle. Marta explained to me that it was the most important northern city in Nicaragua, producing a large portion of the country´s exportable goods, coffee being the most significant.
We arrived in Matagalpa central park, just in time for the lighting of the large Christmas tree. We didn´t have much time in Matagalpa city, but the Christmas spirit was definitely present. Kind of a strange thing to experience without the cold and snow.

Last night INPRHU hosted a potluck dinner for all of the volunteers and their host families. Great food, great music and great company. It was our first opportunity to mingle with all of the families together. I´m really hoping that I´ll be able to reproduce some of the interesting foods which I´ve sampled in my time here. I believe the dinner was our last planned activity, and that the next couple of days are reserved for departure preparation.

I would like to acknowledge INPRHU for making this exchange possible for us. They´ve been more than accomodating, and have done a fantastic job at making us feel welcome within Somoto. INPRHU is providing a one in a lifetime experience for both the Canadian and Nicaraguan volunteers. I already feel like I have bettered myself over the last 3 months; maybe a little more humble, a little more mature, with a better understanding of culture and international relations. I feel that, having experienced life as a Nicaraguan I can use some of their customs in my day to day life in Canada. I hope that after the duration of the program the Nicaraguans are able to do the same with some of the things that they´ll learn in Prince Albert regarding the Canadian lifestyle.

Over the next four years INPRHU plans to plant a tree for every Nicaraguan and Canadian volunteer who participates in the program, with each volunteer´s name attached. Although I hope to come back to Somoto in the not too distant future, the idea of returning to see my tree in 30 years along with the trees of my fellow volunteers will surely summon a fair bit of Nostalgia. I´m envious of all the volunteers which will be able to participate in this exchange over the next four years. Although they are not yet aware of it, they are in for a hugely rewarding experience. This is probably my last post while I´m in Nicaragua. Next stop, Toronto!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Luke,
    Awesome post! I really enjoyed reading this. John and I are very excited about seeing you and meeting Josue on Friday!! Have a safe trip to Toronto.
    Love,
    Annette + John
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Luka
    You crazy guy - I can't believe you missed the big party !! Can't wait to see you and Josue on Friday. We'll be armed with lots of warm clothing for both of you !
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete