Monday, December 14, 2009

The Busy first week..

Two weeks until Christmas, already!! I'm just preparing myself for the strangeness of a Christmas outside of Arden. It'll be very interesting to experience family traditions outside of my own.

Not too many updates from our first week in Prince Albert. We've spent the week touring workplaces, meeting new contacts and getting to know our new host families. The Longlitz's continue to be great to us. I'm feeling very comfortable in their house, as is Josue (as far as I know). This will be the first week that the majority of the group will be seperated. Over the past three months only one day comes to mind where I didn't see at least one member of the group. We won't see each other until Friday. Hopefully once we become a little more comfortable with our surroundings we'll be able to meet up after work, for lunch, etc. Four days apart each week simply won't work. I suppose it will be a sample of the difficulties that we'll face being seperated at the end of the program...but let's not talk about that yet, we still have another amazing 2.5 months ahead of us.

Our work situation in Prince Albert is different from that of Somoto. Instead of working through one organization, each counterpart pair is working at a seperate organization. Included in the list of workplaces are: The Canadian Mental Health Association, The Salvation Army, The Red Cross, The SPCA, The Saskatchewan Research Council (dealing primarily with Forestry), 2 Primary schools, a day care centre, the hospital. Josue and I will be working at the Red Cross. Today is our first day of work, and I'm actually writing this during my lunch break. Our primary duties will be office related, but I hope to be able to learn a bit about their various programs in the area, possibly even to participate in those programs.

Sometime in the near future I'm going to try and post ALL of my photos on Photobucket.com I'll let you all know when I finally get to that. Tonight I'm going to help Josue make a blog of his own. I'll post both of these links on here as soon as I have them ready.
Well, my lunch break is coming to an end. Best wishes from Prince Albert!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Luke... i like your posts, for me is very special know about yours...

    Enjoy the experience...

    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Luke, it is going to be very strange having Christmas without you ! We'll all be missing you and thinking about you for sure , and of course we'll all get together in March for a huge celebration when you get home !
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete