Friday, November 27, 2009

Wrapping Up...

We just finished out Final camp. The camp served as our last visit to Topochcalli, which has been our countryside base for the majority of our trip. Our departure is to be early in the morning on December 4th, one week away.

The camp was bittersweet. We discussed many of our most pressing issues such as: Workplaces in Canada, Life in Canada (For the Nica´s), fundraising; and of course, our trip from Somoto to Prince Albert. Although the camp was very helpful in answering our many questions on these topics, it really brought home the fact that our time in Nicaragua is at an end.

The funny strange part is that following the camp all of my feelings and attitudes changed regarding my place in Somoto. Upon our return to town tonight I felt, once again, like a tourist. My room no longer feels like my room and I no longer feel like a member of the household, but like a guest who has overstayed his welcome. I´m starting to realise just how hard it is going to be to leave Somoto. I now understand why CWY prepped us for culture shock upon return. Not because we would be unajusted to Canadian Life, but because we will be leaving a place and lifestyle (possibly forever) which has become so familiar and dear to us. Jeez that´s sappy.

Anyway, so I plan to have a great last week. I´m going to fully enjoy all of our most frequented areas, take tons of pictures, and say goodbye to all my new Nicaraguan friends. I´ll try to post again before I leave, as I realise this is a terrible blog post and I don´t want it to be my last in Nicaragua.

2 comments:

  1. Not a terrible blog post at all. You all must have very mixed feelings about returning home to Canada. Home but not really home. I think your P.A. experience will be an equally awesome one and I predict that you're all going to get some really significant work done there.
    Have a great flight !
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Estimado Luke, Me gusto mucho este post, disfrute mucho sus últimos días por nuestras tierras, y ya sabe que tenemos los brazos abiertos para recibirlo si quiere volver.

    Martha - malvarez@inprhusomoto.org

    ReplyDelete