Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Somoto Canyon

This past Sunday the group payed a visit to Somoto Canyon. The Canyon is the primary tourist draw for Somoto, and possibly the entire province of Madriz. I can see why, it´s nothing short of beautiful.
We began with one of those bumpy truck-bed rides down a back road, actually driving through a river at one point. We got to the Canyon, where there were boats to rent for 20 cordoba a person. We rented two, and paddled further up the Canyon. After a while we reached a small shoreline where a couple Nicaraguans were renting out inner tubes and acting as guides (for another 40 Cordoba per person, of course). We spent the afternoon splashing and paddling our way up the Canyon. The Further we went, the more narrow and beautiful it got. There were all sorts of interesting bats, birds, and spiders. If you sat back on your inner tube and looked up you got a fantastic view of the forest, growing over the edge of the Canyon.
Fantastic trip. We´re going to attempt to plan another one sometime in the near future.

On Saturday Josue and I had our EAD day, and it went perfectly! Our guest speakers all showed up (although some of them were very late) and gave great presentations. We then took a trip to the water treatment facility (which I actually missed, because I was helping with the food). Followed by the best part, our dinner. While everyone else was off at the water treatment facility Lake and I drank rum & coke´s and helped out with the food. Later in the night it changed from an EAD activity (the purpose was to analyse the effect a meal has on the environment) to a party. Great time. I´m sure my EAD evaluation will go quite well :P

My work situation is ever changing. I have once again shifted communities, this time back to Las Cruces. We´re now working in two groups of counterparts. Ariane, Carmen, Jorges, and me. I hope this is the last switch, as I´m dying to get some real work done within our community.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Luke
    The canyon sounds awesome !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures, pictures, we all want pictures.

    Oh, and some photo's would be good too. . .

    and maybe some pictures?

    ReplyDelete